Sunday, July 09, 2006

BGE Pizza!!



This afternoon, we made two pizzas on the BGE. One word -- Yuuuuummmmmmmm!

I mixed up some Pampered Chef Pizza Dough & Roll Mix in the bread machine, then turned it out and kneaded it in flour. Then I divided it (one was smaller than the other). The small one I placed on my 13" Pampered Chef pizza stone, rolled it out and topped it with pizza sauce, and cheese. Then Kirstyn put pepperoni on her half, and left Hayden's half cheese.

Next, I rolled out the larger dough on my 15" PC pizza stone. This one I topped with homemade BBQ sauce (leftover from Brisket night), colby-jack cheese, and shredded chicken (from a can). Then I sprinkled it lightly with chili powder, since I didn't have any bacon bits or green onions in the house today.

We preheated the BGE with the platesetter inverted and the grid on top. We placed the 13" pizza stone directly on the grid, and the 15" pizza stone on top of the extender. Pizza recipes usually say to bake at 425F for 18-20 minutes, but we never got the BGE to go above 375F or so, even with the draft door and daisy wheel fully opened. So, it took about 3o minutes for the pizzas to be done to perfection. We thought the bottom pizza might finish faster than the top one, but both finished at the same time. That platesetter must have been doing a good job.

Anyway, the pizzas tasted really good. A little smoky, but not too much; the crust was crispy on the bottom and soft on the inside; the cheese was bubbly and melted; and the pepperoni & chicken were slightly browned on top.

7 comments:

Stacey said...

That sounds really cool but I don't know what the BGE is?? Maybe I'm loosing it or something : )

Stacey said...

I cannot find your real blog about all your other life stories. Can you email it to me please??

The Roaming Southerner said...

I didn't know you could do pizza on your BGE. To answer your question from my blog: I am moving to Ann Arbor, and I am looking for any job at the moment, but idealy I'd like to work on an issue I really believe in.

Cheryl said...

The pizza look wonderful. I like to sprinkle corn meal on the counter and roll out my pizza dough on that. It adds a cruchy texture to the crust. I also like to use bell pepper, mushrooms, tomatos (you have to press out all of the moisture first or where the tomatoes are, the crust will be soggy) and green chili. Also, I love the red onions because they have a bit of sweetness to them instead of the yellow, green or white. Fresh chives are awesome as well. Smiles...

Theresa said...

yummmm -looks delish!

Nan Nix said...

We were told you couldn't use the pampered chef baking stone on the BGE, so we purchased their stone. We haven't tried it, yet, but are looking forward to it. They also told us to put cornmeal on the stone to keep the pizza from sticking.

Kelley said...

Yes, I think the BGE stone is thicker than the PC one. The PC stones don't take DIRECT heat very well, and I have broken one on the BGE before. I would never use a PC stone on the BGE unless I had the platesetter in.