Monday, July 31, 2006

Smoked Turkey


Yesterday, Saturday, July 29, we tried smoking a turkey. As you can see, it looked “good enough to eat” when it was done. I didn’t do anything special to it. I just patted the bird dry, put some rub in the cavities, rubbed canola oil on the skin and lightly sprinkled on some more rub. As you can see, it was on a rack, over a foil pan. We added apple wood chips and smoked it at 325-350. Actually, the BGE held the temperature at 330. It took the same amount of time as in an oven – 2 ½ -2 ¾ hours. (It was a 12-13 pound bird.)
Doug carved it last night and refrigerated the meat. I took it to a church picnic today. It was good, with a light smoky flavor.

I must let you know that the rub I used was a modified BGE rub. I added more paprika and some brown sugar to the regular BGE rub. Since I don't like a spicy flavor and was afraid of adding too much salt, this tempered the saltiness and peppery flavor.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Sorry about the date. The blog must be an hour ahead of my time zone. It is still Sunday, July 30, here in Missouri.

Kelley said...

Looks delicious!

(I think the blog is set to eastern time, since that's where we are.)

Stacey said...

Looks good but I never could have touched it like that : ) I'm such a freak about meat!!

Kathleen Marie said...

This looks fabulous! I love turkey. Thanks for stopping by!! I'll be back :)